August Male; The Male Who Invites
Izanagi and Izanami, the celestial pair, formed the universe. (See Izanami for details.) After Izanami’s death and Izanagi’s narrow escape from the realm of death, he cleansed and purified himself from the taint of death by bathing in a sacred river. As he bathed, Izanagi gave birth to three of the most significant kami without female assistance:
• Amaterasu was born from his left eye.
• Tsukiyomi was born from his right eye.
• Susano’o was born from his nose.
Izanagi handed the reigns of power over to these three children:
• Amaterasu, Lady of the Sun and supreme ruler, was given dominion over day.
• Tsukiyomi, Lord of the Moon, was given dominion over night.
• Susano’o was given dominion over storms and sea.
Then Izanagi retired to northwest Kyushu, where a shrine is dedicated to him and Izanami.
Awaji Island, the first island created by Izanami and Izanagi; they are enshrined at Onokorojima Shrine and elsewhere on the island.
Amaterasu; Izanami; Kami; Susano’o; Tsukiyomi
Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses – Written by : Judika Illes Copyright © 2009 by Judika Illes.