West Caister

Caister Castle was built by Sir John Fastolf in about 1420. The Revd John Gunn of Irstead wrote in 1849: ‘The marvellous account of a carriage drawn by headless horses at … Caistor [sic] Castle, is not yet utterly discarded.’ He gives no details of the haunt, but Mackenzie Walcott in The East Coast of England (1861) writes, ‘The peasants believe that at midnight yearly a dark coach, drawn up by headless horses, rolls into the dark courtyard, and carries away some unearthly passengers.’

This is in line with old beliefs in the ‘hell-wain’ which trundled round collecting the souls of the dead, and with many later phantom coaches with unnamed occupants. However, Charles Palmer, in a brief mention of the ‘Headless Horses’ in Manship’s History of Yarmouth (1854), tried to rationalize the tradition, suggesting that, as Geoffrey Boleyn, first of the Boleyns at BLICKLING HALL, bought that manor from Sir John Fastolf, ‘and complained of his bargain’, it might be that the restless spirit of his descendant, Sir Thomas, ‘occasionally extends his drive to Caister’.

SEE ALSO:

SOURCE:

Haunted England : The Penguin Book of Ghosts – Written by Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline Simpson
Copyright © Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline Simpson 2005, 2008

Related Articles

Rochford

Rochford Hall was once owned by Sir Thomas Boleyn, also of BLICKLING HALL, Norfolk. According to a persistent tradition, it was the birthplace in 1507…

Rainham

The headless revenant who carries his head under his arm is a cliché of literary ghost stories, but is less common than one might expect…

Kensworth

In her Folklore of Hertfordshire (1977), Doris Jones-Baker records the tradition that in Kensworth, south-east of Dunstable, the path running over Bury Hill to the…