When Edward and Anna Young arrived in Eufaula in 1837, they came to a town that was in the midst of the cotton boom that swept through the South in the prewar era. They were the owners of slaves, and they drew their wealth from the efforts of those in chains. In fact, Fendall Hall was not named such until the middle of the twentieth century. Until that time, it was known simply as the “house on the hill.” Perhaps, then, it is appropriate that the family completed the gorgeous Italianate mansion in 1860, on the eve of the Civil War. It would play its part in that war, used as a temporary hospital for men wounded in the fighting that led to the burning of Atlanta. But despite the losses and depravations caused by the war, the Young family managed to hang on to the home all the way until the 1970s, when it was finally purchased by the Alabama Historical Commission. Today, the house serves the people of Eufaula, giving back to the descendants of many of the people who built it. And depending on whom you believe, it also serves as a home for the deceased.
It is said by some that Fendall Hall never feels empty. Doors open and close, cold spots are frequently felt and apparitions appear and disappear at random. Some have seen a young woman running toward the house, only to vanish when she reaches the door. Others report a young boy who watches guests in the foyer from the upstairs banister. And while most of the visitors to Fendall are not both- ered by the presence at the house, others feel quite differently about it. There are some who report a sense of being unwanted, as if whoever remains behind is dis- pleased with the disturbance.
The caretakers of Fendall Hall have attempted to research the history of the home in the hopes of better understanding the source of these spirits. So far, their efforts have failed. Whatever goes on at Fendall Hall truly is a mystery.